Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Daily 5: Chapter Two

Click to link up!


I'm starting my homework early! For the first time ever! It was bound to happen sooner or later. (Turns out it's later.)

Trust
I'd certainly like to say I trust my students. True, I trust some more than others. 

I like that "new driver" analogy because I don't think my own parents trusted me very much. My mom had her invisible break pedal that she would SLAM whenever she thought I was following too close. Honestly, I DO follow too close but, man, that scared the crap out of me more than anything else! So I'm not sure I developed confidence as much as I developed defiance. 

I have to ask myself, "What am I trusting them to do?" I think a lot of the time I skim over the "explicit instruction" piece. And I know, to a degree, that my children are not as in control when I'm not the teacher. For some reason this happens more often when they are in specials and not when I have a sub. I'm not sure what that says about them or me. 

I think my kids are more independent than others. Mostly because I can only handle someone asking me for an eraser so many times before I show them how to get one. But how does apply to my current reading system? 

I know I do A LOT of checking on kids. Why?

Well some kids aren't on task. This falls on me. Have they been explicitly shown what to do? Have I asked them to outwork their stamina? Do they have "good fit" books? 

Other kids don't know what to do. This falls on me too. Did I give them explicit instruction? Did I do enough modeling? 

I wonder: Can you really trust ALL kids ALL the time? What happens when a student breaks your trust? 

Choice
You guys, I hate having a schedule. I know it's good for kids. I know it's good to build a routine. To me, it might as well be a diet. Or a budget. Oh, and I have that one kiddo who says things like, "Ms. A! It's 11:15 so we are supposed to go to lunch NOW!" Ok, cram it stinker thank you for reminding me! Needless to say we don't "go over" our schedule because I have ADHD and my Adderall wears off before noon.

Any way. 

Where is choice in my classroom? Um... they can choose... to... Okay. Guilty again. My students can't even choose what to wear to school each day. The have one shirt that they have to wear every day. They can't even choose "blue polo" or "white polo". 

"Purpose + Choice = Motivation"

I know I like choice. In fact, I am actively combative when I'm not given a choice! Or a purpose! Ack. 

I wonder: Do kids need to choose one of each D5 choices every day? What if they only want to read to self? 

Community 
The Sisters say that community comes from "experiences [the students] have during that year". We're good at that. My students will even dig something up from six months ago and say, "Like the time that happened!" 

We also talk about holding each other accountable. And model it. And practice it. And model and practice it some more. However, we are still walking the fine line of accountability and being bossy and flat out tattle telling. 

With Kindergarten, I am perplexed as to how to build rules together. A lot of my students this year had NO prior school culture to build from. I felt a little lost. 

I wonder: What are the "how to's" for building community? 

Sense of Urgency
I really, really don't like "Because I said so!" See also, "Because I'm the mom and you're the kid!" Or Matilda style, "I'm right and you're wrong, I'm big and you're small, and there's nothing you can do about it."

And then I throw erasers at them with my MIND!

Understanding the "why". It's so essential. 

Live, Love, Laugh Everyday in K posted a great organizer on filling out the "whys" of the D5 for your self. Click here to grab it. 

This is one I'm going to need to work on as I read chapters 4-6 on the different components of the D5. I know others will answer it, but I really need to do it for myself if I want to authentically present it to my kids. 

I wonder: How can I get kids so invested in this that they will not allow interruption of their own learning? 

Stamina
Building stamina is something I've never even tried with my kids. Much like the example, I saw a trainer last year and she was excellent at helping me build stamina and endurance. Now, I still wanted to kick her a little each time she told me, "Five more! Okay, now five more!" 

Favorite part: The Daily Five allows for teachers to have instruction time in one-on-one and small-group settings because the bulk of the class is independently engaged in worthwhile and meaningful activities. 

Yes, dear Sisters! I DO spend my time keeping kids on task! And YES, dear Sisters! I DO NOT have enough time for teaching and letting kids read! Kindly stop spying on my classroom.

To manage this, I would like to set a goal. I saw an awesome Pinterest find that I would like to incorporate. Click the picture to go to the original source.


I like that it is very visual and it helps kids see how much progress they are making towards their goal. 

Stay Out of the Way!!
This is something I know I can do once all of the other components are in place. I would LOVE to stay out of the way. The more independent my students are the more time I have.

More proof that the Sisters are spying on me: The first day students read without our hovering reinforcement, their behavior fell apart. 

My students are independent in some aspects and not at all in others. They are trusted with somethings but not with everything. 

I've got to start from the bottom and built up. Then I can stay out of the way (and stay out of my own way). 

Again, if you made it this far through my post, THANK YOU! Please comment, follow, etc. so that I know you were here. 

- Ms. A


11 comments:

  1. I'm your newest follower - I can relate to so much of what you've posted! I especially agree with what you said in regards to choice and highlighted the same piece in the book (Purpose + Choice = motivation)...this is the aspect of the Daily 5 that, while it may be difficult for some (most?) teachers, the kids will enjoy the most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we can all relate to what you have posted!! I am so like you with the schedule thing...what I have started to do is list my schedule on the board, but not worry about times (except playground and lunch). Then as we do things, I let a student put a check mark next to it on the list. I tell them it is our to-do list, instead of our schedule! It has really been working great! Some days we don't put a check next to everything and I tell the kids that sometimes you can't finish your list in one day!!

    Thanks for linking up today!!

    Caitlin
    Kindergarten Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is stinkin' brilliant!! I will do this for sure next year!

      Delete
  3. "Purpose + Choice = Motivation" That is my goal for this year! Sigh, I can already feel how tough this is gonna be!

    Angela
    The Daily Alphabet

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am with you about the schedule ---so hard!! I know it is important for the kids to see and process so I really want to give it a go this year. Caitlin LOVE your to-do list idea!
    jeannie

    Kindergarten Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had some really good thoughts and concerns....I so agree. I've decided to take the plunge.
    You commented about the kids selecting where to go. I'm going to tell them they can't choose the same place 2 times in a row. Unless it is writing and they want to finish a story they are on.
    My biggest fear/concern is that I can't train them well enough to make it work. Watching the clips from the Sister's web page has really helped with my confidence.

    fryteachn5s@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have a posted schedule either . . . I'm still working on it.
    Marsha
    A Differentiated Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your post! Love it!! I am so with you on all of this. I am new to Kinder ( this will be 2nd year ) and never done the Daily 5 so I am so scared about giving them all these choices and trusting them! I laughed out loud so much reading your post! And also felt relieved at the same time that someone else thinks like me! I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you can follow my ramblings. :)

      Delete
  9. Enjoyed reading your post. I am also new to the blog world. I found blogs for the first time in January and I was hooked. Decided to start my own when school got out for the summer. Yeah! I am also headed to kindergarten after being in Title I for the past 6 years. I'm very excited about giving the Daily 5 a try this fall!

    ReplyDelete