Saturday, June 9, 2012

H is for Holding My Breath

So it's now been over a month since my last post.

Our last day was May 23rd and summer school started on May 29th. I have twelve of my nineteen kids for summer school which is nice. I love my babies. I'm still adjusting to my new ones. My kids are very independent and I guess I took that for granted in a big way!

I finally found out that I have a job for next year though I haven't been told what grade yet. I feel like I'm wasting so much time I could use to prepare for next year. I don't even know when I'll know.

There are lots of changes going on at school and there are many things in the air or unknown altogether.

Big, deep breaths.

I've been doing some deeper digging into Common Core and it's giving me all kinds of anxiety. "Common Core Standards" is not even something I've heard the administration at my school say. We're supposed to start the transition this year. I have several colleagues in other districts who are planning PD and workshops and yada yada yada! AHHHHH!

BIG. DEEP. BREATHS.

Silver lining time: Because of the less-than-stellar support from those above, I've found that I have some really talented and creative coworkers who are just as eager as I am to grow professionally and create positive change in our school and for our kiddos.

My Firstie friend and I are gearing up for The Daily 5 book study over at Live, Love, Laugh Everyday in Kindergarten. I'm getting pretty excited about it. I've kind of read through Daily 5 before but it was a "required read". As I was just beginning my Master's program at the same time, I wasn't terribly motivated. Now that I'm choosing to read it, I'm really soaking up every word. I PICK indeed!

A lovely fellow K teacher sent me the document below. It's from the International Reading Association's (IRA) annual conference. It's about the Daily 5! So well timed! It's FREE and also very cute... So grab it up!




I'm glad I can at least put my anxious energy into growing as an educator!

Okay! Enough whining for one post. (Now where's my Xanax...)

Here's my June Currently from Farley at Oh Boy Fourth Grade:










- Ms. A



No comments:

Post a Comment